Oh God, it’s tofu. My own (plant based) mother can not wait to tell anyone willing to listen that she DOES NOT like tofu. She doesn’t like the taste, doesn’t like the texture, doesn’t like the smell and doesn’t like the way it looks. She will NEVER, EVER like tofu. So…I made her this. We were away on a camping trip and since I’m the camp cook, she could either eat or go hungry (oh, how the tables have turned!)This is somewhat reminiscent of an egg salad sandwich. You can even add that eggy smell/ flavour with the optional addition of Kala Namak, otherwise known as Indian Black Salt. I never liked the smell or taste of eggs but when I’m feeding those who do, I add a little. You can squeeze out any excess water in the tofu by hand or by wrapping it in a clean tea towel and placing something heavy (like a cast iron pan) on top for about 15 minutes. Crumble it really, really small so that the sauce coats every piece. Add remaining ingredients, mix and refrigerate. Make into sandwiches, serve as a side salad or spread on crackers.
Oh and back to mom. She called me recently to tell me that she has a new favourite sandwich. It just happens to be this one.
Adapted from Colleen Patrick-Goudreau’s “Better Than Egg Salad”. The 30 Day Vegan Challenge. First Edition.
Disclaimer: We use Amazon affiliate links ONLY for products that I personally use and rely on. When you purchase something (anything!) through an Amazon affiliate link (or by clicking on the Amazon link in the sidebar) I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting WHAT the HECK do I eat NOW and helping me continue to bring great content to this site!
- 350 grams (12 oz) extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup Just Mayo, Vegenaise or other eggless mayo
- 1 small red pepper diced
- 2-3 scallions finely chopped
- 1 finely chopped carrot
- 1-2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley finely chopped
- 2 tsp relish
- 2.5 tsp prepared mustard
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Squeeze out excess water from tofu by hand or wrap in a clean towel and place something heavy on top (like a cast iron pan) for about 15 minutes.
- Crumble tofu into really small pieces or mash with a fork or potato masher.
- Add mayo, red pepper, scallions, carrot, celery, parsley, relish, mustard, turmeric, salt and pepper.
- Combine well.
- Serve in a sandwich, as a side salad or on crackers.