I used to be an incredibly picky eater, a parent’s worst nightmare really. I remember being in my late teens and being over at an older couple’s house where they were serving lunch. She mentioned that bean salad would be part of the meal and I can remember thinking, ‘Oh God, how am I going to choke this down?’ This was the salad she served. Needless to say, I absolutely loved it and she scribbled out the recipe for me which I still have and make to this day. It’s quick and easy to make and I love having this in the fridge to add as a side dish at lunch.I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Disclaimer: We use Amazon affiliate links ONLY for products that I personally use and rely on. When you purchase something (anything!) through an Amazon affiliate link (or by clicking on the Amazon link in the sidebar) I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting WHAT the HECK do I eat NOW and helping me continue to bring great content to this site!
- 3 14 oz cans of beans. Choose a variety that may or may not include chickpeas, kidney beans, wax beans or my preference a six bean blend (packed in water).
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into ½ inch chunks
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- ½ tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp freshly minced parsley
- Drain and rinse your beans. Drain again.
- Mix all beans, green pepper and onion in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix your dressing ingredients: sugar, vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, salt, dry mustard, tarragon, basil and parsley.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over your veggie/beans and let it marinate for a few hours in the fridge before serving.