I have to admit, I’ve been a bit slow to embrace the jackfruit craze. I’m not sure why? Maybe because I didn’t have a clue what jackfruit even was until fairly recently and the idea of a pulled pork-like barbecue sandwich made from fruit sounded well..a bit odd. If you’re thinking the same thing…stop!! This sandwich is fantastic!!! The flavour is great, the texture perfect and with a little coleslaw, I’m having two …YUM!
So if you don’t know what jackfruit is and you are a bit curious, it’s a large fruit that originates in South East Asia and belongs to the same tree family as the mulberry and fig trees. It bears the largest tree-borne fruit in the world, with each fruit typically weighing between 10 and 100 pounds! Each fruit contains dozens of yellow bulbs that are rich in Vitamin C with each bulb containing a seed that is rich in protein, potassium, calcium, and iron.
It is the National fruit in Bangladesh and the orange bark from the jackfruit trees has been traditionally used as a dye for monks’ robes. The leaves provide food for animals and the trees provide both timber and also produce a sticky substance that is used as glue. The fruit is served in many different ways including as a main ingredient in curries, stir fries, juices, ice cream and even flour made from drying and grinding the seeds.
Recently it’s become very popular as a vegetarian or vegan healthy alternative to pulled pork. I can see why!
Unless you are in South Asia you probably won’t be using fresh jackfruit. Use canned jackfruit that is either canned in water or brine but not syrup. If you live in a larger city this is probably available in any Asian type store but I find it easier to just buy half a dozen cans at a time on Amazon.( Here’s what it looks like.) Rinse and drain the canned jackfruit and place it in a bowl.
Add your brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt and stir until well combined.Heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat in a large skillet and fry the jackfruit for 3 minutes. Next add 1 cup of barbecue sauce and reduce the heat to low.
Cover and simmer it for about 30 minutes adding the 1/4 cup of water to thin the sauce if needed. Stir occasionally.
Once the jackfruit has softened, remove it from the heat and pull it apart with 2 forks.Serve it on a bun with all your favourite fixings! Mmmm, so good!!
Original Recipe by Buzzfeed Oz. Watch the video here!
Disclaimer: We use Amazon affiliate links ONLY for products that I personally use and rely on. When you purchase something (anything!) through an Amazon affiliate link (or by clicking on the Amazon link in the sidebar) I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting WHAT the HECK do I eat NOW and helping me continue to bring great content to this site!
- 2 cans jackfruit in brine or water (not syrup)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 cup of your favourite barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup of water
- Coleslaw, red onions, lettuce or whatever sandwich fillings you like
- Rinse and drain the canned jackfruit and place it in a bowl.
- Add your brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, and salt and stir until well combined.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat in a large skillet and fry the jackfruit for 3 minutes.
- Next add 1 cup of barbecue sauce and reduce the heat to low.
- Cover and simmer it for about 30 minutes adding the ¼ cup of water to thin the sauce if needed. Stir occasionally.
- Once the jackfruit has softened, remove it from the heat and pull it apart with 2 forks.
- Serve it on a bun with all your favourite fixings!